Different tack
Sunday, May 29, 2005
 
Memorial Day.........To all those who serve...
Monday is Memorial Day and I wish to thank all those who serve both in and out of uniform.
I have the privilege of coming from a family with a strong military background. I also have the
privilege to be Native American. So today, I wish to acknowledge the contributions made by
my family members, both in and out of uniform.
Starting with my Great Uncle Frank(dad), he serve in the Army in WWI. A quiet man who made sure that
I learned that I needed to put the needs of others before myself. A lesson I did not always follow.
Great Uncle Bob, his service came in being in two parts:
One as part of the design team for Browning Rifles. The second as a Marine.
Granddad Leon (dad), he worked in the Denver plant for Winchester Rifle in WWII.
Granddad George (mom), he worked at the University of Chicago in WWII, later for the Salt River Project.
Uncle Jerry (dad's brother) was in the Army Air Corp as a Helicopter pilot, retired as a Col (O-5).
Uncle Bud (mom's brother) was in the US Navy for 25 years, retired as a Senior chief (E-8).
Jeff (jerry's son) served for 6 years in the US Air Force.
Jason (jerry's son) served for 12 years in the US Air Force.
My DAD, 22.5 years in the USAF, retired as an E-7, Master Sergeant.
My ex-brother in law Robert, served 12 years in the US Navy while married to my sister no less.
And finally myself, served 5 years in the US Navy.

In the group above: you have two Bronze Stars, one Silver Star, one French Legion of Merit,
four Purple Hearts plus the contributions on the home front. I have always been proud of my
heritage and I feel privilege to be one of this group. So take a minute and remember those
who served. You find that most veterans tend to down play their part in the big picture.
But do not be fooled, for without their willingness and dedication. We would not have the
freedoms, that most people today, take for granted.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger